British chorus master Andrew McAnerney succeeds to the late Christopher Jackson as the new artistic director of the Studio de musique ancienne de Montréal. For his first recording with the Studio, McAnerney has chosen motets by Orlando di Lasso.|
In the domain of sacred music, di Lasso's motets are considered more original than his masses. The composer took great care in choosing texts to set, and reflected their rhetoric with perfect conviction. He poured out fresh ideas, managed polyphonic procedures with unmatched ease, and showed an original and generous sense of melody. Some motets on this recording are for 12 voices in two choirs.
The Studio de musique ancienne de Montréal consists of 10 to 13 singers chosen for the remarkable clarity and purity of their voices. The ensemble is often accompanied by period instruments in performances of Renaissance and Baroque choral masterpieces, and has made 20 widely acclaimed recordings, including several on the ATMA Classique label.
Andrew McAnerney was raised in the British choral tradition and studied music at the University of Oxford (Magdalen College). Since graduating, Andrew has enjoyed a varied musical career as a conductor, consort singer, soloist and arranger.
A former Tallis Scholar, Andrew McAnerney has performed with many of the world's finest early music ensembles and is credited on over 50 recordings including the music of Bach, Brumel, Clemens non Papa, Crequillon, Gombert, Handel, Lassus, Lotti, Morales, Moulu, Mozart, Palestrina, Phinot, Purcell and Rore.
1. Laudate Dominum omnes gentes à 12 voix | for 12 voices 3:04|
2. Bone Jesu, verbum Patris à 8 voix en 2 chœrs | for 8 voices and 2 choirs 3:45
3. Ad Dominum cum tribularer à 6 Voix | for 6 voices 3:27
4. Te Deum laudamus à 6 Voix | for 6 voices 14:48
5. Dixit Martha ad Jesum à 9 voix en 2 chœrs | for 9 voices and 2 choirs 4:06
6. Mira loquor sed digna fide à 10 voix en 2 chœrs | for 10 voices and 2 choirs 5:00
7. Domine, Dominus noster à 6 voix | for 6 voices 2:51
8. Alma Redemptoris Mater à 8 voix en 2 chœrs | for 8 voices and 2 choirs 2:16
9. Beatus Nicolaus à 8 voix | for 8 voices 2:42
10. Omnia tempus habent à 8 voix en 2 chœrs | for 8 voices and 2 choirs 4:04
11. Laudate Dominum, quoniam bonus à 7 voix | for 7 voices 7:11
12. Musica, Dei donum optimi à 6 voix | for 6 voices 3:10
13. Aurora lucis rutilat à 10 voix | for 10 voices 3:40
ATMA Classique is distributed in Australia by Rockian Trading
PO Box 44, Briar Hill, Vic, 3088, Australia
Telephone +61 (0)3 9432 4149 ~ Facsimile +61 (0)3 9444 6879